winter skin.


It's cold as ever here in the Windy City (we're expected to get up to 12 inches of snow by Friday morning! eeps!) and, I must admit-- one of my woes of the season is how dry my skin gets--especially my hands. Recently, I've been loving the classic Smith's Rosebud Hand Salve. It's pretty much the best product I've found, plus, the sweet, small containers fit so conveniently into my purse so I pretty much always have it on hand.
Then, when my mom was here visiting for New Year's, we were in the kitchen and she poured some olive oil onto her hands and started working it into her skin (her hands are very sensitive and they break out very easily). It didn't surprise me at all-- my hip, bohemian mother always has the best tricks.
How about you ladies? Do you ever use olive oil? Or do you have other recommendations to help save our hands this winter?

5 Comments:
my mother in law puts olive oil on her skin and in her hair in the winter. I've tried it a few times and it works great.
Hope you survive the snow! It's headed our way this afternoon.
I am also obsessed with Smith's Rosebud Salve. When I lived on my mountain top in Flagstaff, AZ I used it every day during the winter! Lately, now that I'm in Phoenix, I love to use it on my lips. It gives such a nice shine with out being gunky.
I use olive oil! I tend to believe that different nationalities do better with different homemade beauty supplies; for example, Brazilians use nut oil for everything, Costa Ricans use coffee grounds for skin exfoliation, Japanese like to use cherry flowers/bark/extract. But I've tried all those things, and it resulted in not-so-good reactions. However, as I am Greek and Italian, olive oil and citruses (and greek yogurt!) work BEAUTIFULLY with my skin and hair. You should research whatever your heritage is, and go from there!
okay, i live in southern california so i know i don't really understand the problems you have...
however, my elbows have started getting all cracked and scratchy lately and it's been maind me CRAZY.
so yes, olive oil. i've started rubbing it in while cooking dinner and it works wonders.
if i miss one day, cracked and dry again.
and lotion does nothing to help.
ladies! i love that so many of you confessed your love for olive oil. i need to start using it more, i think-- it's so, so cold here. melina-- you know what's so funny? my mom and i are both Lebanese. all of our food is made with loads of olive oil-- mine as well bathe in it, too :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home